The Engineers Club at Garrett-Jacobs Mansion
Engineering Society of Baltimore
Baltimore, MD

The Engineers Club at the Garrett Jacobs Mansion

WBCM has provided extension engineering and construction services to the Engineering Society of Baltimore for renovations and adaptations of many of the historic spaces on the ground, first, and second floor to the Engineers Club at the Garrett-Jacobs Mansion in downtown Baltimore. The original renovation and expansion of the three combined row houses on the historic Mount Vernon Square by the Garretts took place from the late 1880s through 1913.

One of the first projects WBCM oversaw was the restoration of the formal dining room, which is located on the ground floor. The project included the restoration of the decorative plaster molding and the refinishing of the entire space in the original colors and style used by the Garretts. Paint colors were determined by sampling down to bare wood and plaster.

Additional projects on the ground floor have included the restoration or adaptation of the bar and lounge, the Koffel Room, The Knott Room, and the Billiards Room. WBCM also oversaw the restoration of the original finishes and general renovation of the main corridor. The work performed on the main floor included furnishing the spaces with period furniture and draperies and faux finishing of existing fireplaces and walls, all of which contributed to the new look of this historic space.

On the first floor, WBCM adapted part of the original Art Gallery into a kitchen to better serve the main Ball Room, which is on the same level. The adaptation preserved the existing ornamental plaster walls and ceiling and allowed for future restoration of the Art Gallery. Most recently, WBCM designed and a mezzanine over a portion of the stage in the Ball Room to house the pipe chamber of a 500 pipe Wurlitzer theatrical organ. WBCM provided construction-phase services for the construction of the space and installation of the organ.

On the second floor, WBCM was responsible for refurbishing the Posey Room, which is the Mansion’s educational center. The refresh involved the refinishing the space and included the installation of HVAC to condition the main lobby, which was part of a larger building-wide HVAC replacement effort. WBCM’s interior design group selected furnishings for the room.

WBCM also designed and managed the construction of the courtyard enclosure that allows year-round use of the space and creates expanded capacity for functions at the Mansion. The enclosure consists of a glass roof system supported by curved tube steel beams that was dictated by the existing walls that surround the space. A structural survey of the existing walls, which were constructed between the 1850s and 1913, was required because no drawings existed. The laser survey determined that the walls were not square to one another and revealed settling. The east end of the curved beams land on the Ball Room roof girders. The existing west walls did not have the strength to support the roof load from the curved beams so new footings and steel columns were designed to carry the load while minimizing the visual impact to the historic structure.

  • Owner:
    Engineering Society of Baltimore
  • Total Construction Cost:
    $10 million
  • WBCM Services:
    Architecture
    Interior Design
    Structural Engineering
    Site Engineering
    Surveying
    Permitting